May 16, 2012

Dining Room Redo

Ever since we moved in my mother-in-law has been after me to repaint this room the whole house.  Since we pretty much do all the work ourselves--in our "free time"--we only get one room done every year or so.  (We don't ever really have free time.  Who am I kidding?!  We work all the time.) 

For the first 18 months we lived in the house the room looked just like this: 

 
Red curtains and all. 

Then one day last fall when we were at the office for like 12+ hours, Zoe had enough of the red curtains (and probably us).  She--with the help of Faith and Macy--ripped one of the curtains and rods right off the wall.  So then we lived with one set of curtains on the wall. 

That lasted for over a month until about two days before my MIL came into town.   In an effort to save myself the embarrassment I decided to take them down.  And that's how we lived until last month--nasty green walls, no furniture and no red curtains. 

Then the most wonderful thing happened:  my uncle brought my grandmother's antique bar to my house for us to store for him.  This caused a whole new dilemma for me, though.  The bar was way too pretty to be in this hideous room. 

So last weekend I made the most of my procrastination skills and decided to repaint the room.  (Mind you, I didn't decide to start on this project until 6:30 pm on Saturday night.  And I hadn't even picked out the color or bought the paint).  Needless to say, I only have two walls painted and half of the chandelier.  But it's progress.  And it's better.  (I think). 

Here are some more before pictures: 


(Chandelier before.  Yuck!)


(I have to paint the chandelier in stages.  Don't judge me on the half-painted light fixture!)



And here's the "during" picture:


I'm not yet sold on the paint color but I want to finish the whole room and do the second coat before I decide for sure. Regardless, it's better than the hunter green faux painting catastrophe that had occurred in the room previously.  Hopefully by the time I get the room completely painted, a rug purchased and curtains hung it will look a little less pistachio.  We'll see.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment