January 5, 2012

Pumpkin Granola Bars

Granola bars have always been a favorite, go-to breakfast food for me.  But have you ever read the label on them?!  It says something to this effect:  "INGREDIENTS:  CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING."  Isn't that appealing?!  Not to mention, healthy?! 

Okay, so when Patrick and I cut out refined sugar out went the granola bars.  (Sigh).  Being the non-egg eater that I am, my limited selection of breakfast food got a whole lot more limited. 

Then last night in my never-ending quest to find breakfast foods that are quick, easy and healthy I ran across these on Pinterest. 

(Picture courtesy of Clean Eating Chelsey)

Don't they look yummy?!  So as usual, I pulled up the recipe fully expecting to see the words "molasses" or "brown sugar" somewhere on the page but to my surprise they were missing! 

So this morning as I was trying to figure out what I wanted to make for breakfast I couldn't get these off my mind.  I was slightly worried that Patrick wouldn't like them but decided to give 'em a shot anyway.**  I had to tweak the original recipe a little since I didn't have almonds or cranberries but I think I like them better my way. 

(P.S. These were a huge hit, afterall, with Patrick!) 

Pumpkin Granola Bars
(Click here for the printable recipe)

2 c. oats (I used Quick Oats)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. pumpkin puree
1/3 c. agave nectar
3 T. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. chopped walnuts
1/3 c. raisins
1/3 c. dark chocolate chips

Directions:  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Grease a 9x9" pan and line with parchment paper. 

In your food processor, grind 1/2 cup of oats until a flour-like consistency.  In a mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 c. oats, the oat flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt.  Whisk until well blended. 

In a separate bowl combine pumpkin puree, agave nectar, maple syrup and vanilla.  Stir until smooth. 

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.  Stir in the walnuts, raisins and chocolate chips. 

Dump into pan and press into pan with fingers until level.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Let cool completely before cutting. 



** Note to new wives:  You don't always have to tell your husband what you're feeding them.  Absolutely, not necessary.  They will try more things and you'll be a happier wife if you omit the details sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment