June 30, 2010

Keeping Your Head Up... In Plenty or In Want


For nearly two days now I've been sitting at my desk, riding in the car and thinking as I got ready for work about one thing and one thing only: DEBT! Ahh! I hate debt. It makes me sick to my stomach and I wish it was gone. And when I started this blog I did so with the intentions of writing for pleasure but also as a stress reliever; so I am going to share with you something very personal. We have debt--and lots of it.

Here's a little history:

My husband and I both brought a series of financial issues into our relationship; whether it was bad credit scores, loans, student loans and a myriad of credit cards, we both contributed our fair share. It's embarrassing. When we moved in together we were both sick and tired of paying off past mistakes and were trying to turn things around when we were both laid off. (Sigh) Despite our best intentions murphy struck once again and we were down and out. For the first 14 months we lived together we had two incomes for a total of 6 weeks and were both unemployed at the same time for a total of 2 1/2 months. I cannot tell you how hard that was and since neither of us had savings accounts--or EMERGENCY FUNDS as we refer to it now--to fall back on, we went further into debt. It was just horrible.

Things finally started to turn around this past January when I started working for the same accounting firm as Patrick but we knew it would take a VERY long time to dig out of the hole we had created for ourselves.

I'm proud to say that after six months of following Dave Ramsey we've paid off $14,927.70 in credit card debt. We've closed three credit cards. We've purchased a house that we thought needed a little face-lift (that we could do over time, after the debt was paid off) but murphy came a visiting and the house needed some major repairs, and we've paid for all of the repairs in CASH! We've also paid CASH for the engine to be replaced in my old Mazda. We've paid cash for numerous, costly repairs on the Tahoe, and we even went on a very wonderful trip to New Orleans--a trip that we made while leaving ALL of the credit cards at home.

I hestitate to be so personal and share such intimate details with our family and friends who follow my blog--and quite frankly you may not care--but the last couple of days have been hard. Repairs on our house have cost more than we expected and it cost more than we were anticipating to fix my car (which still isn't fixed). I'm frustrated and tired. I've been incredibly sad because I feel like our progress is completely stalled for the next two months as we rebuild our emergency fund. It's times like this that I just want to give up but know without a doubt that I cannot. I want a brand new Suburban that doesn't have mechanical problems and I want my house to be furnished completely and painted all pretty. I'd even simply take the really cute quilt at Pottery Barn that would be perfect over my porch swing.... And I admit, I can't help but resent those who have everything just handed to them.

But then I have to remind myself that we are much better off than we were a year ago--unemployed and without any idea when we would get our next paycheck. We have a house that will someday be beautiful, we have a (pretty) reliable Tahoe and we have a bright future with wonderful jobs that afford us the opportunity to pay off all of our debt in less than 3 years.

So as I sat here looking for any edge up I decided to take a peak at other blogs with the hope of finding one that I could relate to--one that would make me feel better. I found this one that I absolutely love.

Dave Ramsey Road

Anna's blog gave me tremendous hope and it reminded me to look for what we've accomplished versus looking at how far we have yet to go. And in all her wisdom she had a scripture posted on her blog that I needed to read--it was the reminder I needed to help my stress decrease and for my mood to improve.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13


Check out her blog if you like. It's wonderful and gives me strength. Patrick and I are very lucky. We don't struggle... in fact we can pay off our debt very quickly because we have a comfortable income. We have food on our table, a roof over our head and soon we'll once again have air conditioning! Just like it says in the scripture, we've known what it's like to have nothing and learned how to be happy despite the circumstances. So at times like this, when our progress is stalled, I need a reminder to keep my chin up and my feet firmly planted to the ground. We'll get through this. It will be hard work but it will be worth it in the end!
I hope ya'll have a wonderful Wednesday.

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment